In the past few years, we hear a lot of news on WordPress sites getting hacked. There is a reason, and it’s not because WordPress is insecure.
Is WordPress really insecure?
WordPress is one of the most popular CMS engine out there, roughly around 33% of the websites on the internet right now (check the latest WordPress numbers in w3techs). Having such a huge market share makes WordPress a popular engine to hack.
Being a popular engine to hack does not mean its insecure.
When a vulnerability is discovered, the entire WordPress community jump into action to get that patched. This is a something you don’t get with an off the shelf product, or even a small unknown content management system.
To promote better security, WordPress 3.7 introduced background auto updates. By default, they limit it to only minor releases, but this is enough to provide security patches to the WordPress core.
But vulnerabilities don’t stop in the WordPress core. Plugins and themes are major contributors and they also need to be patched with their
These WordPress updates are crucial for the security and stability of your WordPress site.
Not following the updates is what makes WordPress insecure.
You need to make sure that your WordPress core, plugins, and theme are up to date.
Two key rules to simplify WordPress security
1 Update without hesitating
We all understand our responsibilities:
We must follow the WordPress updates, OK!
There is no alternate path, OK!
We all have read plenty of blog posts about this subject. But then why?
Why we see the pending updates red notification and don’t take action?
Because you and me, we all feel insecure:
area lot of potentials for the WordPress site to break.
- There are infinite untested explosive plugin combinations.
- There is no easy rollback when things go wrong.
You deserve to feel safe with ease of updating.
Please Check if your WordPress hosting provides you witha staging environment where you can:
you WordPress updates
We all love to “try before we buy.”
In a copy of your live site.
A staging environment
where you can verify and compare side by side with the live site
3. & FAST
With an easy, instant and without wasting time following how-to’s.
If this is not fast and easy,
you will defer the task to a moment with more time (never).
If you understand all these points, we know you would perform the WordPress updates. At this point, we accept this responsibility.
Get a simple and fast staging system with wetopi:
- 1 click staging/playground environment: 1 click & 0 configs. It gives you a fast copy of your entire server where you can test upgrades without compromising your production site.
- 1 click to promote changes from staging to production. It saves you time; all your work done in a staging server can be promoted to production in seconds.
- 1 click & 0 configs to Backup and recover from disasters. When you are under the pressure of an unexpected problem, or White Screen of Death, or worst, an intrusion! There is no place for complex technical procedures. It helps you a lot to restore a backup in an entirely new server with a single click.
- Staging Included in all accounts, even on FREE development plans.
2 Get a robust infrastructure:
We all can imagine that security responsibilities do not end in the WordPress application side. Server software and network infrastructure are also major contributors to what we call Attack Vectors.
An attack vector is a path or means by which a hacker (or cracker) can gain access to a computer or network serverhttps://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/attack-vector.
A robust infrastructure helps you to lower this vector angle.
What makes a robust infrastructure?
Let’s keep this simple and reveal the two main aspects you must consider:
- Continuous security updates for every piece of software in your server and network infrastructure. Does it resonate you?
- Active prevention. Not just standard network firewalls. You need firewalls capable of learning from external sources, and Web Application Firewalls well trained to understand and protect your WordPress from potential security leaks and attacks.
Get a robust managed security infrastructure with wetopi:
- Redundant external WAF (Web Application Firewalls). It Prevents the bloating and resource usage of all firewall plugins.
- Real-time blacklisting. It updates blocking lists every minute from security IP Feeds related to online attacks, online service abuse, malware, botnets, command-and-control servers, and other Cybercrime activities. This feature, only available in Premium Plugins, is included in all wetopi plans.
- Shared Learning: WAFs monitors traffic across the entire network and inherits those learning automatically into our infrastructure. WordPress will avoid non-legit traffic thanks to the real-time experience of other thousands of wetopi domains. Wetopi automatically shields your WordPress from hackers even before an attack takes place.
- Dual network. When networking problems such as flood attacks or Denial-of-Service collapses one route. The website will have an alternate path.
Click here to read on about our redundant networking and security WAF infrastructure. https://wetopi.com/network-high-availability-wordpress-with-wetopi/
- Upgrade your server with the ability to rollback in seconds. When upgrading your WordPress server, we use docker images. If a new version fails, it automatically rolls back to the previous server version.
- Now you can forget about server updates and rest easy. You will never see the WordPress White Screen of Death when new server software releases break your site.
- Malware monitoring. Monitoring site activity to identify any compromised sites.
Be proud by having a robust and secure infrastructure with wetopiMore info about wetopi technology
We are techies passionate about WordPress. With wetopi, a Managed WordPress Hosting, we want to minimize the friction that every professional faces when working and hosting WordPress projects.
Not a wetopi user?
Free full performance servers for your development and test.
No credit card required.